Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cutting The Cord

Numbers scare me. Sudoku is, like, my idea of hell on a piece of paper. Maybe it's because I've always been selectively dyslexic with numbers. Especially the numbers 3 and 5. 

Example: I missed my Medical School interview because I thought it was on Friday, December 5th, when in fact it was on Wednesday December 3rd. They were super understanding about my mistake since I had the fortunate excuse of using my grandfather's recent death to explain my scatterbrained-ness. I ended up being accepted, so that worked out okay, I guess...

But the 3-5 mixup strikes again. As I went to check my Airtran reservations page for my flight to San Fran, gleaming with pride at my responsibility by actually double-checking my flight schedule two days in advance instead of the night before, I was shocked to find that, in fact, my flight had been that morning, Tuesday August 3rd. Not Thursday the 5th. Pride fadeth fast.

But, that just gives me more time to pack, right? Thank God I'm not superstitious.

So $500ish dollars later I'm procrastinating packing by starting this new blog! Who says I don't know anything about time management!?

I must admit, I'm new to this whole blogging thing...until the last few months I always thought blogs were for techie geeks and conspiracy theorists. I've kept a journal off and on the past few years, interrupted by my flares of Carpal Tunnel syndrome (Thanks post-college lab tech job!) and the slightly paranoid fear that someone will discover my secrets that I have had since my first pink ballerina diary with a lock on it. (Chase Eaton, I'm sorry, you are no longer the love of my life).

Much has changed in the last 15 years. Now I like sharing my thoughts, and I hate pink...But still love ballerinas-how do they keep spinning like that?! So I've decided to give this whole blogging thing a try. I do want to go ahead and give credit to my good friend Patty for planting the idea in my head, though. But I've seen Inception, Patty...I'm onto you, and your dream idea-planting schemes. Next time try to plant an idea of how to make a lot of money without actually doing anything, ok?

I've always day-dreamed of far-away places. I've been wanting to get out of Georgia since I was 18. Okay, 12. But when the time came to decide on a college, I couldn't justify paying out-of-state tuition when my state school was practically free. Same with medical school-couldn't justify the tuition jump to go out of state. (Told you I was scared of numbers!). But on a whim I applied for a Master's program at UCSF and got accepted. Tired of always making the safe decision, I decided to do something different. So yeah, the tuition loans are approaching the price of a house. A nice house. But education and experience trump money, right?

I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment